Friday, September 26, 2014

Chai Almond Cookies (low carb)

If you've tried my Almond Bun / Bread / Base recipe, then this is a sweetened up rendition of that.  

I love Chai spices.  I don't care what form the spices come in...  tea, coffee, sweets, and whatever else they may be in that I've yet to try.  I'll drink it or eat it (to be honest, that pretty much goes for anything!!)  This 'cookie' recipe has more of a texture like cake kind of, so they'd make really good Whoopie Pies, I just haven't tried them that way yet.  I have to figure out a good filling (maybe my Cream Cheese Frosting recipe!!)  Anyway, here's the recipe I came up with...

Chai Almond Cookies

3/4 cup Almond Flour 2 Large Eggs 
5 Tbsp Unsalted Butter (softened works best, in my opinion)
5 tsp Splenda
1.5 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Vanilla Extract (or more if desired)
1 Tbsp Cinnamon (powdered)
1 Tbsp Ginger (powdered) 
2 tsp Cardamom (powdered) - I didn't have this so I didn't use it but the Chai recipes call for it
2 tsp Cloves (powdered)
1/2 tsp Nutmeg (powdered)
1/2 tsp Allspice (powdered)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350* F.
Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl
Mix in the eggs
Add the softened butter to the mixture
Place a sheet of parchment paper on a cookie sheet
Use a spatula to pour out the batter / dough onto the parchment paper into small piles at regular intervals on the cookie sheet (like you would regular cookies).  I think I got about 8 cookies but they were quite large in size.  Keep in mind that they will flatten and spread out some, so you don't want to have them too close together.  However, I also kind of twirled each cookie on the paper to make it a little more round, just to be safe.
Bake for 12-20 minutes (my oven requires about 20 minutes.  I bake it for ten minutes and then rotate the cookie sheet 180 degrees to try to get a more even bake, just to be safe).  They cool very quickly, so you don't have to wait long to eat them.


Chai (Almond Flour) Cookies
I'm sorry that I don't have all the cookies on the plate but we scarfed most of them up right away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment