Monday, September 22, 2014

Layered Coconut Flour Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting (low carb)

After making the Coconut Flour Bread recipe, I got more creative.  I've been wanting sweet treats so I decided to play with the recipe a little more.  I've seen some recipes for 'Crepe Cakes' on Pinterest and decided to make something similar.  However, I seem to have a hard time making low carb crepes based on recipes I've gotten off the internet (so far anyway!) so I decided to bake the 'faux crepe cake' this time.

Coconut Flour Cake

4 eggs (I used All Whites Liquid Egg Whites - 12 Tbsp)
4 Tbsp coconut flour

2 Tbsp unsalted almonds, ground into a flour
3 Tbsp protein powder
1/2 tsp Almond Extract (or any kind of extract you want to use in order to flavor your cake.  I just have been craving almond for some reason!)
4 Tbsp butter, unsalted (at room temperature so it's soft)
6 Tbsp Splenda (or granulated sweetener of your choice, add more or less to taste)

Preheat the oven to 350* F.
Combine all the dry ingredients first, then added the eggs, butter and extract.
Place parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
Pour batter / dough onto the parchment paper in a very thin layer.  If you have a small cookie sheet, you should be able to use it and fill the cookie sheet.  However, my cookie sheets are all average / large sized so I had a few inches of empty paper on either side and about 1 inch on the top and bottom.  Because of possible cooking inconsistencies in some ovens, I baked it about 5 minutes, then rotated the cookie sheet so the side that had previously been in the front of the oven was now in the rear and baked it for about another 5 minutes.  Times may vary.
When the 'cake' was done, I tried to cut it in fairly even sizes and let cool.  It doesn't take long because it's so thin.

Cream Cheese Frosting

8 oz. Cream Cheese, brick style, the entire brick
8 Tbsp. Half & Half or Heavy Cream
4 tsp. Splenda (or to taste)
about 1 tsp. Extract (I used Almond)

Soften the cream cheese.  I softened it in the microwave for about 20 seconds.  Combine all the ingredients.  I used a hand mixer in order to 'whip' the heavy cream into the cream cheese better, otherwise it would have been too lumpy and liquid.

Application:

Take a 'slice' of the cake, place on a plate / platter.  Apply a thick layer of frosting to the cake.  Place another 'slice' of cake on top of that, apply another thick layer of frosting.  Repeat.  At the top layer, you can either apply the layer of frosting just to the top or also down the sides.  I applied it just to the top.  


Layered Coconut Flour Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting (low carb)
Depending on the thickness of your layering of the frosting, you will probably have some leftover.  You may want to decrease the quantities some.  If you do have some leftover, you can just dollop some on top of the cake when you serve it or do whatever you want with it.  I ate what was left and it was delicious!!  Here's a photo of my cake.  I shared it with my family and we had 4 healthy servings.  I think it was a little dry (the cake part) so next time I think I'd use whole eggs rather than just the whites to see if that moistens it some.  The nutritional info below is based on whole eggs.

Coconut Flour Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting - Nutritional Information (4 servings)

513 calories, 10 carbs, 46 fat, 17 protein, 3 fiber, 277 sodium

No comments:

Post a Comment