Monday, October 13, 2014

Sugar Free Sweet Pickle Relish (low carb)

I've been trying to find a sweet pickle relish that's sugar-free / low carb and I've found that Cain's has a version (it's good, sweetened with Splenda) but I can't always find it in my local stores and that's the only one I've seen (though, I've read that other brands have some too).  I came across this recipe (it's in all the comments) and I wanted to make a note of it so I'll be able to find it again.  Hopefully I'll make it and actually post a picture of it at some point.  I've also contemplated food-processing dill pickles and adding sweetener to try it...  If I do it, I'll be sure to share the results on here. 

Sweet Pickle Relish

1 lb kirby cucumbers
1/2 cup vinegar
3/8 cup sweetener (I use liquid sucralose)
1 t mustard seed
1 1/2 t salt

Process cucumbers in food processer to desired-sized pieces. Put in strainer to drain for about 20 mins. Press out liquid with a spoon. Combine all other ingredients. Add cukes. Done. Tastes better as it sets. Lasts for months because of the high salt and vinegar content. You can thicken it with guar or xantham if you need to. But if I drain the liquid first, I can avoid this step.



No comments:

Post a Comment